Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A Word


"Before Action"


By all the glories of the day
And the cool evening's benison,
By that last sunset touch that lay
Upon the hills where day was done,
By beauty lavishly outpoured
And blessings carelessly received,
By all the days that I have lived
Make me a solider, Lord.
By all of man's hopes and fears,
And all the wonders poets sing,
The laughter of unclouded years,
And every sad and lovely thing;
By the romantic ages stored
With high endeavor that was his,
By all his mad catastrophes
Make me a man, O Lord.
I, that on my familiar hill
Saw with uncomprehending eyes
A hundred of Thy sunsets spill
Their fresh and sanguine sacrifice,
Ere the sun swings his noonday sword
Must say goodbye to all of this;
--By all delights that I shall miss,
Help me to die, O Lord.


~W. N. Hodgson~


This poem was written by a soldier in World War 1. As Christians who daily are in a spiritual battle it is a faithful saying and encouraging reminder not to shrink from the tasks which we know are ahead. God will give us the strength for the battle.
"Finally, be strong in the Lord, and in the strength of His might...Stand firm."
Ephesians 6
Caitlin

2 comments:

  1. Neat poem! And I like your new header! I wonder where it was taken.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~Jillian~
    I am going to mail your prize for my contest today. I've got it packaged, addressed and ready-to-go. I really wanna make sure you get it before Christmas.

    Just consider it an early Christmas present from me. :)

    Love & hugs,
    Eldarwen

    ReplyDelete

Hi,
We would love it if you would be so kind as to comment, just keep your language clean please,
Thanks for stopping by,
His Handmaidens