Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Jolly Little Fellow

http://cdn.mos.photoradar.com/files/imagecache/con_full_user_photo/articles/news/march2011/ireland-landscape-photography-1.jpg
Yesterday was Saint Patrick's Day. That does not really mean much to me. I know it's Irish...I know Saint Patrick was catholic...I know there's a lot of green involved, as well as four leaf clovers and the like...but that's about it. Really. And today being our day to do errands in town, there was a large amount of green to be beholden. You know, that sickly bright green? Hats, shirts, scarves, jeans, shoes...you name it, there was sure to be somebody out there who had it on. There was even a guy with green tinted sunglasses shaped like four leaf clovers! And it bugged me. Just because it was so pointless and ridiculous.

And then I saw a leprechaun in Walmart.

At least, this jolly little fellow looked liked a leprechaun. I don't know much about those mythical little men who preside at the end of rainbows with their pots of gold...or looking back at this sentence, maybe I do. At any rate, I most positively do not believe in them. But the idea is rather fun.
Anyway, I was happily sighing over plants, seeds, dirt and the like in the garden section (Spring fever. I've got it terribly), and then started off to look for my family. At a brisk pace, I entered the store, only to slow  my steps at the sight of the short man plodding down the aisle towards me.The first thing I noticed was his height. He could not have been more than 4 foot 10, no joke. His thick white beard and twinkling eyes shone out from beneath a dark green hat, feathers sticking  jauntily out the back. I smiled at him as he made eye contact with me and I remembered this post. And then I noticed the coat. It made me all smiles outside and inside. It was just...smile worthy. A dark green velvet waistcoat with brown buttons fit snugly over his slightly bent back, the coattails hanging just inches off the floor. Nothing bright. Or sparkly. Nor was it cheap looking, loud, or ugly. Just a charming coat to match perfectly with the neat white beard and the wrinkled old hands. He gave me a knowing little smile back...it was a moment that would have made this ladies heart do a happy dance. And I just wanted to share that piece of happy with Y'all.
I wonder if when he was younger he had red hair...

In Christ,
Jillian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi,
We would love it if you would be so kind as to comment, just keep your language clean please,
Thanks for stopping by,
His Handmaidens